[Web4lib] Does anyone need a federated OPAC search?

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 24 12:30:37 EDT 2010

30+ years ago I was involved in a project in Illinois that pioneered the concept of patron-initiated circulation/ILL. Granted, it wasn't seperate OPACs...it was centralized software where each library had its own individual bib/patron/circ/etc files. A patron could search his/her local bib file and initiate a request to have the item shipped to the patron's campus address. If the item wasn't available locally you could search for it at other libraries and initiate a remote circ transaction for the item and have it shipped to you.

It was a pretty popular service, eventually generating half a million interlibrary circ transactions annually, and who knows how many remote requests *within* a given library. I'd be remiss not to mention, however, that this service was not universally popular among librarians used to traditional ILL. Many libraries initially decided to block remote circulation capabilities for their patrons, forcing them to go to the library and the ILL office to request their books.

On the outside chance that anyone wants a little background on this old project, see:

“High Tech/Low Profile: Automation and the ‘Invisible Patron’,” Library Journal 111: LC4-LC6 (November 1, 1986).
“Resource Sharing Among Academic Libraries,” Journal of Academic Librarianship 12:26-29 (March 1986).
“Testing Common Assumptions about Resource Sharing,” Information Technology and Libraries 17:18-29 (March 1998).