[Web4lib] Wikipedia

Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Wed Mar 17 17:58:49 EDT 2010

I tell students it's fine to use Wikipedia as a starting point for
background information, the same way they would use a general encyclopedia
in print, but they usually shouldn't cite it for college work. (There are
some exceptions where I'd say it might be okay to cite it, such as current
computer trends or popular culture topics.)

I tell instructors pretty much the same thing. It's been found to be at
least as reliable as Encyclopedia Britannica, and it shouldn't be accepted
as a reference unless they accept Britannica for the same assignment.

Jean Hewlett
University of San Francisco