[Web4lib] Web4lib: Wikipedia

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Wed Mar 17 14:03:16 EDT 2010

A quick note:

1. I wasn't trying to "correct" anyone. I was just riffing on the
topic. It's tempting to compare Wikipedia to Britannica. Researchers
keep coming out with papers doing just that, and usually they conclude
Wikipedia is equally good, or better. But the comparison is unfair.
Britannica today isn't the shining example of anything. If we're
comparing old media to new, Wikipedia should be compared to a whole
library of encyclopedic reference works.

2. My last email contained more typos than words. My apologies.