[Web4lib] Wikipedia

Seaman, Graham Graham.Seaman at rhul.ac.uk
Wed Mar 17 12:54:32 EDT 2010

Quite apart from (not) citing wikipedia there's the issue of judging
whether a wikipedia page is giving you a useful framework to start off
examining an issue that's new to you. One way that sometimes helps with
this is to look at the discussion page that goes with each subject page
- you soon get an idea of whether wikipedia subject pages are highly
controversial, dead-ends no-one has shown much interest in, or the
result of a considered compromise between some knowledgeable people. I
think (hope) the days when people could simply classify information
sources as trustworthy or not without learning ways of assessing them
themselves are vanishing, even if it does take more effort.

Also, wikipedia itself generally does a reasonable job of pointing you
to secondary sources.

best
Graham