[Web4lib] NY Times review of “This Book Is Overdue: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All”

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 15 18:51:11 EDT 2010

The NY Times recently reviewed Marilyn Johnson's “This Book Is Overdue: How Librarians and Cybrarians Can Save Us All”:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/07/books/review/Kennedy-t.html

It's largely a favorable review, but there is one interesting passage:

"Johnson cheerleads for these Brave New Librarians, championing the efficiency of online searches and digitized archives. And yet, without meaning to, her book comes off as a paean to a previous age, when fact-finding meant trekking through the Dewey Decimal System. Johnson writes best when she’s meandering and browsing, in the manner of a woozy reader exploring the stacks. In her most absorbing passages, I felt as if I were back in the children’s library, scrutinizing a volume of the World Book Encyclopedia."

Bernie Sloan