[Web4lib] Cites & Insights 10:4 (April 2010) now available

Walt Crawford waltcrawford at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 17:09:38 EST 2010

*Cites & Insights* 10:4 (April
2010)<http://citesandinsights.info/civ10i4.pdf>is now available at
http://citesandinsights.info/civ10i4.pdf

The 30-page issue is a PDF print-over-the-web publication, as usual,
although three of the four essays are also available in HTML form (the
article titles are links). As always, My Back Pages is a PDF-only bonus.

This issue includes:
Perspective: On Disconnecting and Reconnecting (pp.
1-9)<http://citesandinsights.info/v10i4a.htm>

Can you turn off all your "connecting" devices for an hour, a day, a week?
Should you? A number of librarians and others discuss the virtues of
disconnecting from virtual life once in a while--and maybe reconnecting with
ourselves, nature and our real-world friends.

Trends & Quick Takes (pp. 9-16) <http://citesandinsights.info/v4i10b.htm>

The good old days that never were, blaming the user for bad survey design,
the difference between production tools and creative talent, checklists for
writing and publishing--and ten quicker takes on an even wider range of
topics.

Making it Work: Thinking about Blogging 5: Closing the
Loo<http://citesandinsights.info/v10i4c.htm>

The close of this four-part series (there was no Thinking about Blogging 3),
on how we should blog--and notes on some impressive blog research,
miscellaneous issues, and a brief threnody on a dead blog.

My Back Pages

Nine little essays on topics as diverse as crackpot physics, how to get
diners to spend more, stretching "obsolete" past its limits--and powering a
600-watt device with a 2.5-watt source!