[Web4lib] Academic library website design v. campus design

Michelle Watson michelle.watson at deakin.edu.au
Wed Jun 16 21:11:56 EDT 2010

We have reproduced the University's look and feel in our Classic catalogue - see http://library.deakin.edu.au/, but changed the links so they relate to the catalogue.

We have done significant usability testing and found that a consistent interface with links in the same spot improves navigability - e.g. students and staff are used to having links on the left hand side, so that is where they look. A similar look and feel also helps them know they are still within the Deakin site. Administration-wise it makes things easier to take on the university design - coding and styling has to be tweaked a bit as the catalogue is on a different server, but it means the library doesn't have to worry about designing, creating, then testing their own design.

Cheers,
Michelle.