[Web4lib] Link to Library site on College website

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 16:31:24 EST 2010

Yes, Bill, it is marketing.  If there had been active marketing going on,
libraries would dominate the web today and securing budgets and funding
would be much, much easier.

When I interned in reference at Brown University back in 1993-1994 at their
brand new '21st Center Reference Desk'  search results would most likely
come from an academic institution in lovingly handcrafted hypertext.   With
the heavyweights of the Web represented by the academic offshoots of
ARPANET, the edu sites dominated. Commercial was very limited. Mozilla and
the Yahoo! index rocked. And, we had PCs, Macs, and Unix on the same desk.

But, e-commerce stepped in and changed the mechanics of the web.  The search
algorithms were tested and retested with the goal of getting product links
in front of people.  The academics had better information, but relied
on reputation and quality rather than marketing through language
configuration and linking strategy or even basic avertising.  So now, all
the general population sees in the broadest sense is the relevance of
commercial as it has been marketed to them as information consumers.
Selling library services as a valuable product has become much more
difficult.

In Rhode Island, the various public libraries have individually and
collectively subscribed to some of the heavyweight databases.  The costs are
relatively low per capita, but use per capita is extremely low so they are
really not a bargain.  And, people would use them if they knew they were
there.   Instead, the subscriptions get cut, so no one benefits.  The
products were never effectively marketed.

Brian, I  do not expect *your* library results to come to the top of every
search that I do, but library sites in general should.  They don't.  They
have not been marketed. They have not been structured to get the product in
front of the consumer.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com