[Web4lib] Digital info. management at U. of Arizona

digin digin at email.arizona.edu
Mon Jan 25 17:40:19 EST 2010

January 2010 - For immediate release

University of Arizona Digital Information Management (DigIn) graduate certificate program admission
is open for Summer 2010. IMLS-funded scholarships are available. Application deadline for Summer
2010 is April 1.

*****

The University of Arizona School of Information Resources and Library Science is pleased to announce
that openings are available in the school’s graduate certificate program in Digital Information
Management (DigIn), and that IMLS-funded scholarships are available for students entering the
program in 2010.

The DigIn program features hands-on experience and focused instruction supporting a wide range of
professional careers involving digital systems and data. The certificate includes six three-credit
courses designed to build students’ hands-on technology skills, and to help students acquire the
advanced knowledge needed to curate digital collections, manage digital projects, and to set
policies for access and long-term preservation.

In 2009, the first cohort of DigIn graduates completed their certificate requirements with practical
“capstone” field projects in a broad range of professional settings, including the Library of
Congress, the Metropolitan New York Library Council, the College of William and Mary, UC Riverside,
the New Mexico State Records Center and Archives, Phoenix Public Library, Cochise County (AZ)
Historical Society, Arizona Department of Environmental Quality, and the Mohave Museum of History
and Art. As one 2009 graduate noted:

“DigIn broadened my knowledge of the history, trends, and best practices for digital collections.
It has also given me the practical experience to tackle hands-on projects that require a deeper
understanding of technology and information management. My work in the DigIn program is most
certainly what led to me landing a job in a technology-heavy environment.”

For information professionals already working in the field, or those considering career changes, the
DigIn certificate offers a flexible path for graduate studies. The program is delivered 100% online
and has no residency requirements. Students generally complete the certificate in four or six
semesters (15 months or 27 months).

Deadline For Summer '10 admission: April 1

Deadline for Fall ‘10 admission: July 1

Deadline for Spring ‘11: Nov. 1.

DigIn was developed in cooperation with the Arizona State Library, Archives and Public Records and
the University of Arizona Outreach College. Major funding for the program comes from the U.S.
Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS), which has also provided scholarship funding.

Additional details on the program including course descriptions, admissions requirements and
application forms may be found on the program website:

digin.arizona.edu

Applicants may also contact the DigIn staff at:

digin at email.arizona.edu

*****