[Web4lib] Alternatives to "Best Bets", etc. ?

Chris Strauber cstrauber at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 15:31:47 EST 2010

I like Linda's approach very much.

The trick with "most useful" is that it's only meaningful in the
context of a particular question. I once had a student come to me
saying she couldn't find psychology articles in MLA Bibliography,
which several professors had recommended to her as extremely useful.
She was just following directions.

Tufts did some usability testing with a "most useful"-"also useful"
model and discovered that users were primarily using our database
finder to locate the two or three databases they were already familiar
with. Several also said things like "if this list here is less useful,
why are you showing it to me?"

Chris Strauber
Humanities Reference Librarian
Tufts University