[Web4lib] Local Book iPhone application

David Friggens friggens at waikato.ac.nz
Thu Jan 7 20:50:00 EST 2010

> I would expect many, if not most users, would expect the data to be
present without
> them having to register their missing library and bookstore options
first

Yes, and in most cases it will be. If it happens not to be and they
can't be bothered adding it then someone else will eventually.

Just because some, or even a majority, don't take part doesn't mean that
crowdsourcing can't be successful. Rose Holley's (National Library of
Australia) PRDLA keynote on Crowdsourcing makes the point that the
majority of work is usually done by about 10% of volunteers.
http://prdla.ucmercedlibrary.info/2009/10/crowdsourcing-and-social-engag
ement/

> In the 'net world, convenience usually takes precedence over quality
for
> the average information consumer.

Indeed, which is why more people use Wikipedia than Britannica, and why
more people use LibraryThing than WorldCat. Similarly there are
situations where you would just do a Google search rather look something
up on Wikipedia, and where you would check out Google Maps rather than
going to LibraryThing Local. But there are times when
quality/reliability are more important, and you go directly to Wikipedia
rather than Google, or to LibraryThing Local rather than Google Maps.
Horses for courses and all that...
(Admittedly that's all far from a perfect analogy, but hopefully it
helps make the point.)

Cheers
David