[Web4lib] Room reservation program or scripts

John Bickar jbickar at stanford.edu
Tue Feb 23 12:29:04 EST 2010

Hi Glenn,

I'm CCing the Web4Lib list as well.

the following Drupal modules for this system:
Calendar
CCK
Date

We're also using the Validation API Drupal module
<http://drupal.org/project/validation_api> to do some rudimentary form
validation. (See http://pastebin.com/r6VhrErt for an example of
excluding Saturday as an allowed day for reservations, and
http://pastebin.com/Zb0GfbrT for an example of excluding our
regularly-closed hours Sun-Fri.)

You could certainly use the Validation API to restrict bookings as you
describe below. In our case, I didn't spend a lot of time developing
extensive validation rules because we only allow authenticated users to
make bookings, and we (as staff) can take a look at the schedule and
make sure no one is scheduling on top of one another (users are not able
to delete others' reservations).

With the low amount of use we've had so far, it didn't make sense to
spend a lot of time developing exclusions for all the permutations of
hours we're open/closed during holidays, intersessions, summer session,
etc. Sometimes social solutions are simpler than technological ones :)

-John Bickar
Stanford University Libraries