[Web4lib] selecting a CMS/DAMS for a digital library

Kelly McElroy kellymce at gmail.com
Thu Feb 18 13:51:18 EST 2010

Thanks to all for the responses and helpful suggestions. As requested, here
is a bit more information about the situation: the organization aims to
collect documents (mostly PDFs of text, but possibly other formats,
including TIFFs of maps, PowerPoint presentations, and so on) related to a
particular treaty. This will include some published material, as well as
some archival material, so there will need to be some creative use of
metadata to reflect the full context. The most common users are expected to
be academics and government agency employees, although a secondary tier of
secondary students and amateur historians is also anticipated. There has
been relatively little interest in any 2.0 or social interaction component.

In terms of specific products suggested, I have been looking at both DSpace
and Omeka. Omeka is especially appealing for its simplicity, since there
will not be a long-term librarian or archivist working on the project.
However, neither of these solutions is compatible with the existing IT
infrastructure, which is very Microsoft-focused: Windows Server, SQL Server,
Exchange Server, IIS, .Net programming. I've heard some experiences of
installing DSpace onto Windows servers, but it requires knowledge of Linux
that we will not have. Hosting off-site is another possibility. The other
option seems to be using a virtual appliance such as JumpBox. I'm still
researching the implications of this -- again, I would be very grateful to
hear any experiences with such things.

Thank you again for all your assistance.

Cheers,
Kelly