[Web4lib] Cable Broadband and configuration

Pollock, Chad cpollock at rogersark.org
Wed Feb 17 14:04:45 EST 2010

Our library is in the process of shifting our broadband service from a
dedicated T1 to Cable Broadband.  We have long needed an increase in
bandwidth, and our discussions with cable providers have led us to
believe that we can get up to 10mb/s with cable as opposed to the 1.5 we
currently get with a dedicated T1.  The price difference is also
significantly in favor of using cable.

That said, we have an antiquated infrastructure, and we are limited in
what we can do in-house because most of our major IT comes through our
city IT department.  As part of this shift from T1 to cable, we need to
update our old equipment.   I was wondering if others are using cable
broadband for providing internet to the public, and if so, what your
configuration looks like.  Would any of you be willing to share the
hardware you are using?  What type of router?  Modem?  Do you include
public wifi?

I hope my question is not too broad, but I'm trying to get the big
picture of what other libraries are doing so I can go in, somewhat
informed, with requests to our city IT.

Thanks,

Chad Pollock

Technical Services Supervisor

Rogers Public Library

711 S. Dixeland Rd

Rogers, Arkansas 72758

479-621-1152 x23

The Information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended only for the named recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you must not copy, distribute or take any action or reliance on it. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender. Any unauthorized disclosure of the information contained in this e-mail is strictly prohibited. The views and opinions expressed in this e-mail are the sender's own and do not necessarily represent the views and opinions of the City of Rogers.