[Web4lib] EAD creation tools

Caitlin Nelson caitlin.nelson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 12:15:47 EST 2010

Hi Everyone,

We are looking for more information about any tools people are using for EAD
/ Finding Aid creation.  Ideally we're looking for a user-friendly interface
for inputting collection information which can then export or spit out a
proper EAD XML file; in a fantasy world it would also have some kind of
"bulk" features.

In my experience, the way to get the best EAD file is to have someone
familiar with code create it or at least look it over after automatic
creation.  However, training time and cost is a factor and something that
has more of a drop-down menu or fill-in-the-blank type interface would be
easier to hand over to, say, interns or student workers for data entry.

Archon can do this, but we've found some limits to its functionality.  At
one point in time we had a home-grown template system using NoteTab, but
again it had its limits.

Any suggestions or ideas are greatly appreciated!  Thanks so much,

Caitlin Nelson

--

Caitlin Nelson
Digital Initiatives Librarian