[Web4lib] Attending/Presenting at conferences in difficult times / Dissolution of Reference

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 10 15:34:56 EST 2010

Ranti Junus wrote:
> Oh, also, those at MPOW who are going to a conference are encouraged
> to write a report and share it with the whole library staff. This
> could include the programs they attended (and write a brief synopsis
> about the programs and why they are useful for our library), the
> tidbits, tips, and tricks they received from informal interactions,
> and news they heard from the vendors.
I'm frequently required to do something like this by our library
director.  I did a "Takeaways from Internet Librarian 2009" presentation
to the rest of our library staff.  After 2.5 days of presentations and
informal interactions I came back and spent about a week researching
some of the things that I heard about to augment what I got during the
conference.  Then I did an hour and a half presentation of all that
material focusing on the things that I though were most appropriate for
our library.  Even though I was the only person to attend the
conference, hopefully a lot of others benefited from my experience.

--
John Fereira
Cornell University
Google Wave: fereira at googlewave.com