[Web4lib] Attending/Presenting at conferences in difficult times / Dissolution of Reference

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 11:15:24 EST 2010

Ross,

I am not sure how you are getting to the definition of 'servant', so I can't
answer your question. Are you saying that people who go to meetings are
defined as professional, while everyone else is a servant?

That may be one of the fundamental problems with the lock-step group-think
notions about meeting attendance I challenged here. The people who attend
the meetings have been sold the idea that they are of a higher class / caste
than non-attendees - even if they are not active participants. And, of
course, an abundance of snacks
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVgZlaVtEu8>validate self-worth.

But, it is often the people who would benefit the most from meetings and
conferences that are unable to attend. They are busy working. That is one of
the reasons why I think facilitating
telepresence<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcfNC_x0VvE&feature=related>can
be extremely helpful to any meeting or conference.  The capacity to
reach people who can and will use the information is exponentially
increased.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com