[Web4lib] Attending/Presenting at conferences in difficult times

Ross Singer rossfsinger at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 12:17:54 EST 2010

Employers understand the dynamics of conferences as well.  The
"social" effects are positive - you learn as much or more from
interacting with peers, former colleagues, etc. as you do from formal
presentations.

Employers understand this because /everybody goes to conferences at some point/.

Code4Lib (for example) has really struggled with the balance between
the traditional "we need formal presentations so people can be assured
travel funding" and "how can we utilize these 250 smart people in a
room for 2.5 days".

Personally, I don't usually get much "new" or "useful" or the
intersection thereof from majority of presentations at any conference
I attend.  There is generally a plethora of useful connections,
information, ideas, and collaboration however at lunch, between
sessions, during breaks, at the bar, etc.

We are, after all, supposed to be professionals, right?  These aren't
training seminars; they're gatherings of our like-minded (or
like-jobbed) peers to discuss our given successes and problems.

-Ross.