[Web4lib] Attending/Presenting at conferences in difficult times

Robert Balliot rballiot at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 09:45:15 EST 2010

I started working on state-wide Polycom video conferences with libraries and
schools about eight years ago for events such as:
Jason's<http://www.jason.org/public/whatis/start.aspx>Louisiana
Wetlands Project, the Titanic Project with Robert Ballard, and a
conversation with Ray Bradbury on the 50th anniversary of Fahrenheit
451<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fahrenheit_451>.
That was before really fast broadband was available at so many locations, so
there was a bit of video and audio degradation.

The quality was acceptable though and the process itself was efficient.  I
don't think everyone who participated would have been able to 'shake the
hand' of the featured guests.  The events would have simply been hand
shaking.  But, whiteboards and vetted questions allowed for some pretty
significant and fruitful interaction.  Locally, Raytheon set up the first
video conferencing capabilities that I am aware of in Rhode Island.  Their
process reduced cost and created effective, efficient interactive
meetings. It is very expensive and can be extremely dangerous to move people
back and forth to have face to face meetings.

For event organizers, there is certainly great value in selling the idea
that you need to be in a room and maybe smell and touch the participants.
You can fill meeting rooms, hotel rooms, rental cars, restaurants, sell gas,
sell novelties, sell print brochures and signs, collect taxes, create
insurance risks, create health risks, and expend personnel hours on travel
time. In the end you may achieve the actual intent of a couple hours of
meaningful dialog.

When I look at what CISCO now offers for businesses and
education<http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/video/ps1870/index.html>
in terms of efficient telepresence, it is clear that you can achieve
meaningful dialog without the added expense. If you really feel the need to
shake hands, perhaps scratch and sniff, animatronics and some 3D glasses can
achieve the same effect.

R. Balliot
http://oceanstatelibrarian.com