[Web4lib] Mobenzi > Mobile-Phone-Based Empowerment

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Tue Feb 2 06:29:11 EST 2010

Wilfred Drew wrote:
> Even my blackberry has a delete key.

The "if you don't like it, just delete it" arguement has been used for
years regarding spam, commercial solicitations, and phishing scams.  I
think it's pretty clear how effective that approach has been.

I'll also agree that I've found a few interesting  bits of informations
from Gerry's messages (mostly the mobile use for international
agriculture development space) but also wish that I didn't see several
copies.

Posting announcements on email lists has been a peeve for me for awhile.
  We have several event calendars where I work and although there has
been talk for years about a consolidated campus wide event calendar,
it's never going to be effective as long as those that want to announce
and event or something else to a wide audience send them to as many
email lists as they can think of.  I'll oven receive 3-4 copies of the
same message from different lists, and then someone on one of those
lists will think "everyone on this other list I read should see this"
and will forward it along (of course I probably read that other list as
well).  Then there will be event reminders sent to all of the lists as
well.

I don't know what the answer is, but it's not a technical solution.