[Web4lib] Mobenzi > Mobile-Phone-Based Empowerment

Robin Boulton robin at stcharleslibrary.org
Mon Feb 1 18:20:00 EST 2010

<flamewar>

</flamewar?}

Robin Boulton
IT Manager
St. Charles Public Library District
St. Charles, IL 60174
(630) 584 0076 x 258
Cell:(630) 918 8738
http://www.stcharleslibrary.org/
robin at stcharleslibrary.org

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org [mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Kozlowski,Brendon
Sent: Monday, February 01, 2010 5:10 PM
Cc: web4lib
Subject: Re: [Web4lib] Mobenzi > Mobile-Phone-Based Empowerment

Continuous emails to a group that are not directly influenced by the group's purpose can be (and in this case is) a direct influence for unnecessary bandwidth.  If something is seemingly in err, or could be modified in a way to benefit the majority (rather than cause a ruckus from the active group members), it should probably be listened to.  It is simply a form of good customer service, to listen to those you attempt to cater to; whether they're loud and overbearing or not.  A lot of the time, albeit obnoxious, negative comments will typically garner much more insight than positive comments.

It's hard to improve on something when all that is received are glowing compliments.

To the technical side of things: Listserves are not easy to reply to a direct subject when received in digest mode.  If I could subscribe in digest mode and reply directly, I wouldn't be as concerned; even though it would still inflate my singular digest's email size beyond the point of necessary.  (As was suggested - a snippet, not a complete repost of the blog article, would suffice.)

Since I've hopped in to this conversation I was trying not to (but found entertaining none-the-less), it's quite evident that there is great desire to steer discussion from the *discussion list* to the originating site when the newest original topic created by the author asks users to please visit his site to discuss the article.  At this point, the purpose of a discussion list is seemingly lost; though I do hope the author's articles are of use to some on this list at the very least.

Brendon Kozlowski
Web Administrator
Saratoga Springs Public Library
49 Henry Street