[Web4lib] Friendly language

Bob Duncan duncanr at lafayette.edu
Mon Feb 1 12:47:15 EST 2010

At 10:51 AM 2/1/2010, Walker, David wrote:
> > I don't hear students talk about "skipping course"
> > but they do say "skipping class"
>
>I think that's because an individual meeting of a course is always
>called a class.  So, unless you're skipping the course entirely,
>you'd always be "skipping class."
>
>I do like "Assigned Class Readings," though.

Yeah, it's nice, but as a substitute for "reserves" it would only
make sense if everything on reserve is assigned and everything
assigned for a class is on reserve.  In our library, use of materials
on reserve might be suggested but optional and some assigned readings
might be somewhere other than on reserve -- if a student can't deal
with "reserves," I seriously doubt s/he could figure out the vagaries
of "assigned class readings."  (Not to mention that some reserve
materials have no connection to courses or classes.)

I could be wrong, but I believe most of us put materials on reserve
because different use conditions apply to them -- "reserves" is a
word that has a specific and pretty widely-accepted meaning that
makes sense.  I'm all for friendly language, but the specific
meanings of words in context help facilitate communication, even when
the words might border on jargonish.  Our students know all about the
very friendly "office where you sign up for and drop classes," but
somehow they've managed to come to grips with the more efficient term
"registrar's office" without undue anguish.  IMO, a  college student
who can't deal with the occasional "unfriendly" correct term needs to
get a grip, and I don't think we do them a service by trying to come
up with alternatives that may or may not make sense just because
they're more palatable.

Bob "still looking for the gas pedal on my electric car...I wonder
what that accelerator thingie does?" Duncan

Robert E. Duncan
Systems Librarian
Editor of IT Communications
Lafayette College