[Web4lib] Licensing your site content

Marc Davis marc.davis at drake.edu
Mon Dec 6 08:18:26 EST 2010

Looking to get a sense of current/best practice related to licensing/copyright of the content on academic library web sites. I'm principally interested in the general web site (rather than a particular digital collection) that has lots of diverse content (faculty, research reports, tutorials, videos, policy documents, etc, ad infinitum.

The sorts of information I'd find helpful would include things like:
Do you use Creative Commons? How much individual choice is allowed in CC selection?

Different licenses/copyright claims for different content (faculty blog vs. library news & events) or single license for all?

How was the licensing choice made?

Does your University have publication/marketing/web policies that set or influence the decision?

Best practices?

Anecdotes, cautions, caveats, etc.?

Thanks for your time and attention. It will be greatly appreciated.

Marc Davis | Systems Coordinator | Cowles Library | Drake University
2507 University Avenue | Des Moines, IA 50311 USA | 515-271-1934