[Web4lib] [web4lib] survey on library website third partyanalytics privacy concerns

Brian Gray mindspiral at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 23:02:46 EDT 2010

I do not see how a library vendor is any different than a "front line"
person in a library when it comes to ethics. Since vendors provide the tools
we rely on to complete our tasks, sell the resources we purchase for our
patron usage, contain a lot of data that can be very valuable or destructive
(which may even include information on our patrons), their commitment to and
enforcement of ethics is just as important. If they put less emphasis on
library/information ethics than library organizations do, we would divest in
their products for the safety of our patrons.

I think to generalize and guess how a person in another job or organization
values, protects, or has been challenged when it comes to ethics, a very
slippery slope.

It seems from reading various items published by Roy in the past, I would
not question his role in library ethics.

Brian Gray
mindspiral at gmail.com
bcg8 at case.edu