[Web4lib] [web4lib] survey on library website third partyanalytics privacy concerns

Roy Tennant tennantr at oclc.org
Mon Aug 30 14:09:49 EDT 2010

On 8/30/10 8/30/10 € 10:16 AM, "Robert L. Balliot"
<rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com> wrote:

> On the other hand, Roy's stance as an employee of OCLC that sells services to
> libraries is really not the same as someone who is on the front lines of
> library services.  It is pretty easy to commit to professional ethics when you
> are never challenged and your commitment to professional ethics helps to sell
> your services.  I know lots of hawks who are all for war, especially when they
> are not the ones who serve.

I've worked in libraries since the age of 17. First I volunteered at my
local public library. Then, at 18, I was able to get a job via a youth
training program at a community college library. I worked that into a
full-time job there, and eventually went on to work my way through school at
first a state university, then the University of California. I worked at the
University of California for 21 years, then joined OCLC a bit over 3 years
ago. I have over 30 years of actual library experience, most of it in
front-line public service positions. I've had plenty of time to have my
commitment to the ethics of the profession tested on the front lines of
library services.
Roy