[Web4lib] [web4lib] survey on library website third partyanalytics privacy concerns

Matthew Decker ae5367 at wayne.edu
Fri Aug 27 14:25:34 EDT 2010

  Libraries are also subject to market and other pressures.  However
that only makes a stronger case to uphold the ALA code of ethics,
specifically items three and six:
3. We protect each library user's right to privacy and confidentiality
with respect to information sought or received and resources consulted,
borrowed, acquired or transmitted.
6. We do not advance private interests at the expense of library users,
colleagues, or our employing institutions.
-
http://www.ala.org/ala/issuesadvocacy/proethics/codeofethics/codeethics.cfm

Each library should have their own privacy/confidentiality policies,
many have posted policies including:
1. Collecting only as much personal information from patrons as needed
to serve them.
2. Keeping records related to what information patrons sought or
received confidential and only reveal as required by law.
3. Keeping those records only as long as required.
Look at your own policies and make sure your practices match up to
them.  That's where understanding GA comes in so libraries can make a
more fully informed decision.

Libraries don't exist in a vacuum, and though there are other possible
sources to subpoena, each library is still responsible for their portion
of the pie.  Not all web traffic does actually go through for-profit
nodes.  One library, or university may have a direct physical connection
to another or a consortium.  Portions of a website may be encrypted with
SSL.  Much of our website and online catalog traffic is from inside our
libraries and never goes outside our university network.  So there may
not be another source to get that info, or it may be incomplete/hard to get.

I agree that Brian made good points.  There are privacy concerns to
consider and discussions of this to help everyone's understanding are a
great idea.  Like Brian we found that GA was not the right choice due to
our policies here, others may find the same thing, or not.  I hope that
each library takes some time to think about it though, many never
consider the possible implications at all.

-Matt