[Web4lib] DeDup > Removal Of Duplicate E-Mail Postings > An Idea Who Time Has Come?

gerrymck gerry.mckiernan at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 22:33:31 EDT 2010

"Use The Difficulty!"

One of my favorite actors, Michael Caine, is attributed with a quote that
has guided my career and life for the past several years >>>

 “I was rehearsing a play, and there was a scene that went on before me,
then I had to come in the door. They rehearsed the scene, and one of the
actors had thrown a chair at the other one. It landed right in front of the
door where I came in. I opened the door and then rather lamely, I said to
the producer who was sitting out in the stalls,’Well, look, I can’t get in.
There’s a chair in my way.’ He said,’Well, use the difficulty.’ So I said
‘What do you mean, use the difficulty?’ He said ‘Well, if it’s a drama, pick
it up and smash it. If it’s a comedy, fall over it.’ This was a line for me
for life: Always use the difficulty.

[snip]

>>> I Believe That The Time Has Come To "Use The Difficulty" >>>

As many know, listservs and discussion e-lists have overlapping/ related
scope >>> E.G. > IMHO >

Asis-l > General ASIS mail list & announcements

ASIS&T brings together diverse streams of knowledge, focusing what might be
disparate approaches into novel solutions to common problems. ASIS&T bridges
the gaps not only between disciplines but also between the research that
drives and the practices that sustain new developments.

[snip]

LITA-L >

LITA-L is an unmediated on-line discussion group for those interested in all
aspects of information technology, particularly as they apply to libraries
and information services, to exchange information, ask questions, and post
employment opportunities and other announcements. Anyone with an email
address may subscribe.

[snip]

Web4Lib-L

The Web4Lib electronic discussion is for the discussion of issues relating
to the creation, management, and support of library-based World-Wide Web
servers, services, and applications.

[snip]

As result, while some will subscribe only to what s/he considers *Most
Relevant* to his / her personal / professional interests, others will
subscribe to any / all that are considered relevant in order to be as fully
aware of developments of actual or potential interest.

Observation > Some Have A Broad Perspective On Issues, Others Do Not.

As a result, those who subscribe to lists with related / similar scope will
receive duplicate postings.

Although less common now [?],  with the explosion of listservs and other
discussion e-lists beginning in the 1990s,  it was standard for a posting to
have the heading  >>>

"Apologies For Duplicate Postings"

I later modified the header to state >>>

"Apologies For Receipt Of Duplicate Postings"

IMHO > Similar But Not Really >

I ceased including either heading at the recommendation of a well-respected
information scientist a few years ago >>>

For many / some receiving duplicate postings is a major annoyance that only
further overloads their Information Overload [:-)]

For  others, the 'Delete' is routinely used >> >

Some / others make use of the filtering functions in their respective e-mail
system ...

Still others engage in personal / professional attacks ; criticisms of the
poster  [:-(]  for posting on a discussion list  >>>

Aren't They 'Discussion' Lists? [:-)]

It has occurred to me that we have not significantly developed or lobbied
for a DeDup function in e-mail services such that identical postings are
either Blocked or Junked.

BTW: As many know A DeDup or Remove Duplicate(s) function has been available
in databases for many years, and has become even more importance in
Federated / Discovey services >>>

As a result of a non-exhautive Google search, I've several DeDup
technologies >>>

> 1-Click Duplicate Delete

[snip]

Deduper - Duplicate Remover for Microsoft® Outlook®

[snip]

Duplicate Email Remover 2.15.3

[snip]

IMHO: A DeDup Feature /Function Must / Should Be An Integral / Integrated
Component Of All E-Mail Systems > Without Additional Cost !!!

Let The Lobbying Begin >>>  How About It ? Bill ; Eric ; Etc. >>>

And

BTW> The Major Library-Related Listserv/ Discussion Services (ALA, IFLA,
JISC, SLA, ETC.) Should Implement A DeDup Function ASAP >>>

IMHO > If Such A Function Currently Exists, It Should Be Widely Promoted >>>

BTW: ] I Did Do A Non-Exhaustive Search But Did Not Find Such A Function [?]
[

But ... It Could Be Me Or Our Recent Flood [:-(]

Let The Conservations Continue >>>

"Use The Difficulty" / The Time Has Come !!!

Please Post Your Reactions / Suggestions / Thoughts / Etc. As A Comment At

] http://bit.ly/clvR2g [

Thanks A Million !

Joy !!!

/Gerry

Gerry McKiernan
Associate Professor
Science and Technology Librarian
Iowa State University Library
Ames IA 50011

Follow Me On Twitter > http://twitter.com/GMcKBlogs

"There Is Nothing More Powerful Than An Idea Whose Time Has Come!" / Victor
Hugo

[ http://bit.ly/b2i4Yl ]