[Web4lib] online translation service

Charles Heffner heffnerc1 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 10 13:35:44 EDT 2010

Hi Tracey,

In short, no, but it's not entirely cut and dry.

First, speaking as a former resident of Spain, I know that *many*
Spanish citizens buy client software for their own computers that will
translate an English page to Spanish in a second or two. It does a
pretty good job, and it's not cheap. Nothing on the Web exists like
it, and I'm not sure the software is widely available or known about
in North America.

Google or whomever will do a very good job translating a page if (and
only if) it's built using strict English. "Come on down for our open
house on Thursday night at 7pm" is nowhere near as good as "We are
having an open meeting on Thursday night at 7 p.m." That will be your
best bet if you must use translation via linked button.

Vaia con dios,
Chuck