[Web4lib] The value of Twitter as back channel

Mary Beth Faccioli mbfaccioli at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 10 10:52:58 EDT 2010

When I went to SXSW this year, there were at least 3 sessions in each time slot I wanted to attend.  Sometimes there were 5.  Brilliantly, the event planners assigned hashtags to each session in advance, and they were available with the session information.  This allowed me to completely ignore the general #sxsw hashtag, which was overwhelming and near impossible to follow due to sheer volume, and concentrate on tweets from the sessions I was interested in.  It also allowed me to set up feeds for all sessions of interest in advance, so I could go through them in my reader after the fact (no small task).  I got heaps of info from sessions I didn't attend - not quite the same as being there, but the next best thing.  Like John I had to report on the conference when back at work, and the feeds were invaluable for that.

I hope the approach of pre-assigning hashtags to individual sessions catches on for library conferences.

Mary Beth Faccioli
Instructional Design and Technology Consultant
Colorado State Library