[Web4lib] Google Wave bye-bye

Walter McGinnis walter at katipo.co.nz
Thu Aug 5 20:32:35 EDT 2010

I think there is a difference between naming something that already exists as a familiar concept, e.g. branding a  new search engine "Google",  and naming of a new application type that people don't already grok.

If someone asked me when Google was new what it was, I could have answered, "it's a new search engine with better results and really bare-bones design that gets out of the way of looking at the results."

When asked about Google Wave, I rambled on about it being a combination of a number of things (email, chat rooms, document sharing) in a collaborative real-time conversation. I have yet to have a response to that "story" where the person went "ah, cool, I get it, that sounds awesome."  Nor have I heard anyone else be able to describe the service succinctly and in a way that inspires people to give it a try.

A unifying metaphor can help tell a compelling story to explain your application and inspire interest.  Obviously it isn't the only way to do it.

Cheers,
Walter