[Web4lib] FW: Circulating Kindle and Nooks

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Wed Apr 14 13:25:19 EDT 2010

The internet is a has spawned many disruptive technologies and,
dollar-wise, content sharing has been the most successful and most
devastating. Publishers have the benefit of having watched the record
industry go down faster than the Titanic and have learned from that
experience. They aren't about to let that happen to them without a
fight, and they quite accurately have framed it as a fight for their
lives. Fair use is a chink in their armor.

Libraries, as we have known them, are built on the fundamental
inseparability of content and media. That model is dead, so the
scramble to find our place in a new, as yet to be defined model is
inevitable.

The publishers are understandably protective about their model at this
critical juncture. While they might see the issues that libraries are
facing somewhere at the far reaches of their peripheral vision, they
certainly aren't focused on them. And while there might be some in
their community who view libraries as an annoyance that they wish
would go away, I believe that there are many, if not most, who
understand that this is an issue that they need to address, but are
deferring action pending developments in the the broader spectrum.

Libraries and the people who think about them need to recognize that
this is the card we have been dealt, and it is on us to play it. First
and foremost, we need to make our voices heard and do everything we
can to keep a loud and public conversation going. We need to educate
ourselves and our constituents and demand a seat at the table while
there is still a pot to be divided.

Bringing this back to the original discussion and Steven's point,
there are questions that need answers:

How does this model fit with the idea of having buildings called libraries?

How can we hold our place inline while we figure this out?

Loaning e-readers? Loaning licensed content? Distributing free content?

Thanks,

Cary

Please forgive the metaphor abuse.

Cary Gordon