[Web4lib] Android app for library catalog

William Denton wtd at pobox.com
Tue Apr 13 21:35:33 EDT 2010

On 13 April 2010, Heather J Klish wrote:

> Has anyone created, or is anyone working on, an Android app for
> searching their library's catalog?

I have an Android phone (and like it a lot), but I'm curious about why
you're asking.  Are you asking out of general interest, or are you
actively thinking about working on this?  Is there enough Android usage
at Tufts to warrant it?  At www.library.yorku.ca we're seeing 75% of
mobile vists from iPhones and iPods, and about 5% from Androids (4% if you
take away me, probably).

We're going to start on a mobile-friendly version of our site.  I agree
with MJ Suhonos about apps versus web pages.  Google Sky Maps and Layar
are fascinating apps that have to be apps, but I want everything my
library does to be on the web first, and if that leads to services that
apps can reuse, great.

Bill
--
William Denton, Toronto : miskatonic.org www.frbr.org openfrbr.org