[Web4lib] FW: Circulating Kindle and Nooks

Mitchell, Michael Michael.Mitchell at brazosport.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:32:29 EDT 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org [mailto:web4lib-bounces at webjunction.org] On Behalf Of Michael Schofield
Sent: Tuesday, April 13, 2010 10:13 AM

<snip> At some
point (way down the road), it is reasonable to expect that everyone will
have a tethered device with [hopefully] free [but probably just cheap]
internet. Then the question is what use is a physical library when everyone
has their own hardware and free access points abound nationwide.

I am beginning more and more to like the idea of library as place. Community, social, intellectual center where people come to learn, mingle, share the environment, information, and knowledge. The Intellectual Commons so to speak. I don't think our physical tools, equipment, or resources will be able to be exceptional in the new world but we can still offer a unique and rarified environment. And, we'll still be the experts in the quest for knowledge and available to share that expertise.

Michael Mitchell
Technical Services Librarian
Brazosport College
Lake Jackson, TX