[Web4lib] Circulating Kindle and Nooks

Chris (CE) crippel at ckls.org
Mon Apr 12 20:15:50 EDT 2010

Dear Cary,

I agree that this may be the heart of the matter.

I am concerned that the use of e-reading devices will grow with
libraries will be left out of the distribution chain, either in reality
or in the perception of readers and city administrators. (I librarians
waking up some day with city administrators asking, "why do we need
libraries when free and cheap books are available on the Web and
everyone has a library on their devices?")

Overdrive, Sony Reader and Nook have left libraries in the distribution
chain for now.

Amazon may come around to allowing libraries to provide content to Kindles.

I think we need to use this/these opportunity/ies to make readers and
non-readers aware that libraries can provide content for devices and
build readers' expectation that we do provide content for their devices.

This builds allies in protecting Fair Use.

Chris Rippel

--
Thanks,

Chris Rippel
Central Kansas Library System
1409 Williams
Great Bend, Kansas 67530
620-792-4865 (voice)
620-792-5495 (fax)
crippel at ckls dot org
http://ceprojects.blogspot.com
http://creatingreaderfriendlylibraries.blogspot.com
http://publiclibraryshelftalkers.blogspot.com

Make no little plans; they have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will themselves not be realized. ~ Daniel Burnbam, Architect for Plan of Chicago, 1909

The purpose of life is not to be happy. It is to be useful, to be honorable, to be compassionate, to have it make some difference that you have lived and lived well. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson