[Web4lib] Training Recommendations for PHP and MySQL

Mark Dehmlow mdehmlow at nd.edu
Thu Apr 8 19:14:04 EDT 2010

Daniel,

In my experience, nothing beats taking a manageable sized, real life
project and learning as you apply the technology to it.  As I get stuck,
I Google what I am trying to accomplish and there is almost always
sample code that someone has written along with a tidy explanation for
why they did it this way.  It is a nice way to leverage the robust
coding community out there (plus you don't have to wait around for an
answer like using a discussion list).

Of course, a really good reference helps - I haven't met an O'Reilly
book I didn't like, but the PHP reference I have is the PHP 5 unleashed
which is reasonably comprehensive.
http://www.amazon.com/PHP-5-Unleashed-John-Coggeshall/dp/067232511X/ref=sr_1_25?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1270767982&sr=1-25

I recommend getting a start with some of the basic code, but after a
project or two, consider looking into coding object oriented PHP, it is
pretty powerful, relatively accessible,  and will expose you to some
conventions that can prepare you for other languages like Java.

Regards,

Mark Dehmlow
Digital Initiatives Librarian

      Electronic Resources and Serials
		 Access Department

115A Hesburgh Library      |  mdehmlow at nd.edu
University of Notre Dame   |  voice: (574) 631-3092
Notre Dame, IN 46556       |  fax:   (574) 631-6772