[Web4lib] need some free design advice

Robert L. Balliot rballiot at oceanstatelibrarian.com
Wed Sep 30 20:30:49 EDT 2009

It seems that there would be a real benefit to
extricating the site from the design/hosting service
and using a standard commercial host.  Perhaps they
did not have a tech person of Sharon's ability before and
decided to outsource design.  Many, many libraries
did that and are stuck with designs they cannot change
without external permission and lack control
over their primary external marketing tool.

I think the site looks nice, but it is missing many
parts and has tables nested in tables, in tables, with
divs and very hard to modify.  Since they hired Sharon,
they could now benefit from internal control over design
and features.

It always bothers me when I see a hosting/design link
in the footer of a library page. That is simply an
SEO/Marketing tool for the designer and IMO should be not be
included in any paid design work.

Robert L. Balliot
Skype: RBalliot
Bristol, Rhode Island