[Web4lib] LibGuides

Varnum, Ken varnum at umich.edu
Wed Sep 30 16:45:07 EDT 2009

On 9/30/09 3:21 PM, "John Fereira" <jaf30 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> LibGuides offers, as part of a supplementary package (at what we felt was a
>> modest cost), a periodic export of your library's guides.  They give you the
>> entire content of your guide (all tabs, all content), along with author
>> metadata, in XML.  LibGuides updates the XML file weekly.
>>
> I'd heard about the XML export but, as far as I know, we've yet to
> purchase the supplementary package.  Out of curiosity how do you consume
> the XML file?

We index it in Solr, which drives the search results on the site.

Incidentally, the XML export comes in a bundle of services that includes
having LibGuides host your images/attachments/files.

> the links you see on the next page,  one is a link to a SpringShare
> LibGuide, another is a link to another Subject guide that was created
> long ago and hasn't been migrated to LibGuides, and it also includes a
> list of related course guides.

That's a nice solution.  We migrated our old-style guides (we actually had 3
different tools managing guides-like content) into LibGuides and retired the
old systems.