[Web4lib] LibGuides

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Wed Sep 30 15:21:26 EDT 2009

Varnum, Ken wrote:
> LibGuides offers, as part of a supplementary package (at what we felt was a modest cost), a periodic export of your library's guides.  They give you the entire content of your guide (all tabs, all content), along with author metadata, in XML.  LibGuides updates the XML file weekly.

I'd heard about the XML export but, as far as I know, we've yet to
purchase the supplementary package.  Out of curiosity how do you consume
the XML file?

> 1) Individual Research Guides (our name for the content hosted through LibGuides) appear in their own section of the search results when there are keyword matches.  For example, a site search for "history" -- http://www.lib.umich.edu/mlibrary/search/mirlyn%3Bwebsite%3Bejournals%3Bsearchtools%3Bdeepblue/history - pulls up 22 guides.

On our main library site the  LibGuides domain name has been to the
google site search index so the content is at least being indexed.  I'd
rather work with the XML directly so that results can be themed
depending on the website on which the content is being display.

> 2) In a topical browse, we make use of LibGuides' tags to assign individual guides to the subject category.   Users who go to our Economics browse page -- http://www.lib.umich.edu/browse/Economics - see a link to two Research Guides that have been appropriately tagged by the librarians who write them.

The list of subjects on this page is produced from my Drupal LibGuides
module.  In this case, it's looking for any guide that is tagged with
the name of our unit library.

http://www.mannlib.cornell.edu/research-help/guides-subject

Here's the main library site Subject Guides page which is using the same
module.  Note that if you select "Education" as a category, and hover on
the links you see on the next page,  one is a link to a SpringShare
LibGuide, another is a link to another Subject guide that was created
long ago and hasn't been migrated to LibGuides, and it also includes a
list of related course guides.