[Web4lib] video conferencing over the web, Web4lib Digest, Vol 54, Issue 26

Diane Bédard diane at MNSi.net
Mon Sep 28 12:17:59 EDT 2009

- I use SKYPE for voice conferencing among multiple users, or video
conferencing between two users... overall it is the BEST service in
it's class for this.

I also use  DimDim for excellent whiteboard space and screen share/
desktop share.   DimDim also allows you to fully record the session.

Normally a the team of us will meet and work together, using BOTH
DimDim for the  screen share and Skype for the voice (both apps within
one meeting)... and this is all free.

However, If I understand your request... you want more than just
multiple voice.... you want multiple video... i.e. tthat video as to
be more than just two people... in that case you need to move to a
commercial service...

Something like Elluminate which gives chat, voice, whiteboard, screen
share, app share... and a video camera control that can be passed
around the participants (only ONE video image at time, but can be an
open use/sharing mode among all participants)

or

ooVoo - which is a paid service as well, allowing up to 6 video images
to be a part of the chat at the same time, plus 6 more voice-only users.
  I suspect that that is most similar to what you are trying to
describe...

NOTE: for all of these... no extra equipment is needed... just a
modern laptop that has an integrated webcam
**Do note that overall sound will be FAR superior if all participants
use proper headset and microphones... not the condenser mic that is
internal in the computer... as the internal mic picks up the hard
drive spinning, the keyboard clicking, the reverb back from speakers
etc.,,, so $ 40-70 on a good Logitech USB headset is a worthwhile
investment....   and broadband is a must... this is NOT a dial-up
option.

hope this helps you...

sincerely,

Diane Bédard
dbedard at knowledgeontario.ca
skype (voip) call:  diane_odl
http://www.knowledgeontario.ca/
Cha bhi fios aire math an tobair gus an tràigh e.

Diane Bédard
diane at MNSi.net