[Web4lib] Librarians, administrators, and Google's "library"

B.G. Sloan bgsloan2 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 24 18:07:37 EDT 2009

A couple of people have mentioned Google's plan to offer free access at one workstation in each library.

>From what I read in the Google Books settlement agreement, Google limits free access in this way because it plans to license broader access to the books via subscription. From the agreement: "FTE-based pricing, including pricing bands, may vary across broad categories of institutions." Higher education institutions would then be "sub-divided into sub-categories based on the Carnegie Classifications for Institutions of Higher Education within the United States".

Regarding remote access, it looks like subscriber higher education institutions will be able to offer it. If you look at the various categories of institutions listed in the "subscription" section of the agreement, just about every category (e.g., public library, K-12) has the following statement: "no remote access without Registry approval". The "higher education" category doesn't say this. In fact, Adam Smith of Google said the following a few weeks ago on the Google Public Policy Blog:

"If you’re at a university, in addition to your libraries' free access points, your school can obtain an institutional subscription that gives you access to most books that we've scanned. And scholars and students who don’t keep the same study hours as the library will be able to look at ANY BOOK, ANYWHERE, ANY TIME." (emphasis mine)

Bernie Sloan

I think the reason that Google is limiting free access to one workstation per library is that Google plans to sell institutional subscriptions (see pages 41-48 of the Google Books settlement agreement).