[Web4lib] Facebook (& Second Life)

Chris Bourg mchris at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 10 13:37:25 EDT 2009

Mike,

While Second Life isn't for everyone, Stanford Libraries recently had a
very successful "Open House" in Second Life for our Special Collections.
In fact, we ended up holding a 2nd open house by popular demand:
Special Collections Open House in Second Life a huge success
<https://www.stanford.edu/group/ic/cgi-bin/drupal2/node/763>
As with Facebook, it is simply another avenue by which to expose our
libraries' resources to a broader audience; and for our staff to get
some exposure and experience working in virtual worlds and learning what
works and what doesn't.

Chris

Brian Gray wrote:
> There have been libraries that have joined Second Life recently, so I am not
> sure what your "I didn't think so" comments is going for. The tone of your
> emails suggests you have already made up your mind or you are looking for
> reasons to avoid web 2.0 technologies.
>
> Web 2.0 is not for everyone, and it takes times and money to implement. If
> there is a certain tool or techniques you are considering, maybe you should
> ask for examples to explore.
>
> Brian Gray
> mindspiral at gmail.com
> bcg8 at case.edu
>

> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:10 PM, Mitchell, Michael <
> Michael.Mitchell at brazosport.edu> wrote:
>

>> I think I'm questioning the how, what, and the tools. We are a small
>> library and time must be used wisely. Implementing new things takes time
>> so it helps to try to think things through rather than just jumping into
>> the next new thing. Anybody considered starting a Second-Life presence
>> recently? I didn't think so. I do like the search widget idea and I
>> apologize if I accidentally hijacked this thread with my original
>> question.
>>

>> Mike Mitchell
>>
>> "Protest is when I say I don't like this. Resistance is when I put an
>> end to what I don't like. Protest is when I say I refuse to go along
>> with this anymore. Resistance is when I make sure everybody else stops
>> going along too."- Ulrike Meinhof

Chris Bourg
Head, Information Center
Stanford University Libraries and Academic Information Resources
http://infocenter.stanford.edu