[Web4lib] What print management system(s) are you using?

Jenny Novalis techlibrarian at bplsonline.org
Thu Sep 10 10:17:17 EDT 2009

We use Librarica's CASSIE system for PC and print management.  Below
are the advantages for us (document was originally produced maybe 2
years ago - 2 upgrades ago - in response to other requests for
information).  Feel free to contact me off list with any additional
questions.

Jenny Novalis
Technology Librarian
Bedford Public Library System
540-586-8911 x1114
techlibrarian at bplsonline.org

Patron authentication

	• set CASSIE to recognize the same patron blocks we use for materials
but, cannot manually override a block.  If a block exists, patron will
be told to see staff member.
	• set particular patron types to initiate a filtered Internet session
or an unfiltered Internet session.
	• block particular patron types from using a computer and customize
the message a patron will receive.
	• allow staff to create a guest account (in one click)  for each
patron that needs it.

User session features

	• set session lengths and provide automatic time extensions when no
one is on the waiting list
	• between sessions, computer displays its current status
	• allow users to sign on at an open computer or a kiosk (for waitlist)
	• allows users to pick the next available computer, or a specific
computer.
	• timer in the corner of user’s session counts down, letting patron
know how much time is remaining in their session
	• user receives a warning 5 mins before session ends and another 1
minute before session ends.  If an extension is granted, user will
receive that message as well.
	• add a ‘click through’ screen after patron authentication for our
Internet usage policy.
	• ability for patron to lock the screen when stepping away from the
computer, unlocks when patron re-enters his or her barcode number.
And prevents other patrons from signing on to that computer.
	• users can end their own session if leaving and time is not up yet.
	• all programs are closed at the end of a session and browser
history, cache and cookies are erased.
User printing features

	• allows patrons to keep a ‘running tab’ of print jobs and print all
at once or pick and choose particular print jobs to print.
	• shows patron what the cost will be before patron can print and
forces patron to ‘ok’ it

Staff features

	• create single use or day use guest accounts
	• monitor the status of any computer in the system through a visual map
	• send a message to any or all users
	• take a ‘screen shot’ of any user’s computer
	• add, delete or reorder users in a waiting list
	• force a user’s session to end early or force an extension, even
while others are waiting
	• unlock, reboot or shut down computers remotely
	• if all computers are in use, staff can give the next patron an
approximate ‘wait time’
	• time specific shut down and power up – customizable pre branch
	• set different session length times for different computer groups
	• edit almost all prompt text
	• add/remove computers from a group easily
	• printer charges are set on a printer by printer basis
	• ability to print a ‘cover sheet’ at the start of each user’s print
job.  Cover sheet contains patron ID, name and cost of print job.
	• any print charges will not be reflected in patron’s account through
TLC’s circulation module
	• ability to set a maximum ‘credit limit’ for all patrons to print.
Meaning that if a patron reaches the maximum limit, that patron will
have to pay off those print jobs before being allowed to send any more
print jobs to the printer.
	• staff can make refunds to the CASSIE user print account, if patron
intends to print more during that session
	• page count stats reported on a printer by printer basis.

Statistics reporting

	• generated in either CSV format [for use in an Excel spreadsheet] or
in HTML format
	• create customized reports on the following statistics:
		• Print accounting: cash analysis for daily reconciliation
                                                i.     Data columns
are received, disbursed, reimbursed and net

                                              ii.     Can display
systemwide or per branch

		• Printing stats: number of pages printed and canceled
                                                i.     User privacy
maintained – no stats collected regarding user names, document names
or web site names.

                                              ii.     Data columns are
paid pages, free pages, canceled pages

                                             iii.     Can display each
branch by printer; each branch all printers; or all branches and
printers combined

		• Session stats: location, patron ID & name, start & end time,
session length [ability to turn this stat collection feature off]
                                                i.     Data columns
are ID, name, computer, session start & end time, length

                                              ii.     Can display
stats for a specific patron ID, specific branch, or specific group of
computers

		• User stats: number of users and total print account value
                                                i.     Data columns
are total users; normal admin users; enhanced admin users; super admin
users; disabled accounts; total print account balance

		• Usage stats: number and length of sessions, maximum waiting time,
etc.
                                                i.     User privacy
maintained – no stats collected regarding user names or usage patters
of specific users

                                              ii.     Data columns are
total user sessions; total session length of all users combined;
average session length; total waiting list sessions; total waiting
list wait; average waiting list wait; maximum waiting list count time
[time/date when the waiting list reached the count given by the max
waiting list count]; max waiting list wait time

                                             iii.     Can display
summary stats for each branch by user station group, by each branch
all groups combined or systemwide  all groups combined