[Web4lib] list of all libraries in world

Tim Spalding tim at librarything.com
Wed Oct 28 18:39:44 EDT 2009

LibraryThing Local lists 251 libraries in New Zealand. That's closer.
Unfortunately, I had to look at the database to get that, though.
LibraryThing Local is all about what libraries are within X miles of a
location. (It also shows 184 bookshops, but separately.)

But the key question is how branches, closely-knit consortia are dealt
with. Colleges and Universities often have named libraries that are in
some sense the same--for example, they have a shared catalog, which is
what Lib-Web-Cats cares about.

Incidentally, I invite librarians to make sure their library is in
LibraryThing Local, where regular people can fint it, favorite it, add
pictures, etc. Regular people don't visit lib-web-cats, and
LibraryThing gets twice as much traffic as WorldCat.

Tim