[Web4lib] Google Analytics - Tracking Installed

Maccabee Levine levinem at uwosh.edu
Wed Oct 28 13:06:22 EDT 2009

We are investigating this at the moment as well.  The route we're taking
initially is to use GA's "event tracking" API, which allows much more
fine-grained reporting of what the user did than simply 'loaded X
page'.  For example, we are hoping to use the "label" parameter to
quantitatively analyze which drop-down options are actually used on our
'advanced' search screen, and whether there are differences in the
searching practices of in-library vs. external users.  I have not seen
any guide on implementing GA's event tracking for a library, however an
overview of the API itself here:
http://code.google.com/apis/analytics/docs/tracking/eventTrackerOverview.html

Maccabee