[Web4lib] video conferencing suggestions

Ms Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Tue Oct 20 22:56:05 EDT 2009

We use Skype for online meetings with my distributed workgroup (9 people
in 5 different locations).

Advantages:
- It's free.
- It's a hosted online service, so it's very easy to start using it.
Just go to www.skype.com , create an account for yourself, download
their software.
- It's pretty easy to set up a conference call.
- It's easy to learn how to use the interface.
- It runs on most office computers, so there's no need for a lot of RAM
or a high-end video card.
- It has both voice and typed text, so it's possible to run a back
channel while somebody is speaking.
- It does not require you to request permission before speaking, so it's
easy to have a real conversation between several people.
- We find that voice coverage works very reliably. This provides a free
alternative to conference call meetings.
- We are able to display a still photo of each person who's in the meeting.

Disadvantages:
- Video conferencing works if it's between two people, but not for a
group. This is probably a bandwidth problem, not a Skype problem.
- People sometimes forget to close their mike when they are not
speaking. We've had people forget their mike is open and start helping a
patron, which make the entire reference transaction clearly audible to
everybody in the meeting. (This is a problem with a lot of voice
conferencing tools, not just Skype.)
- So far we haven't found a good whiteboard tool to use in our meetings.
- Somebody needs to set up the conference call and keep checking to make
sure everybody is still in the call.
- Sometimes we have to restart the conference call in order to add
someone new or restart somebody who's lost their connection.
- I also use Skype for some personal calls, and every once in a while I
hear crosstalk from another conversation or things just don't work
right. So far this hasn't happened in our online meetings.
- Because it's a hosted online service, there may be some potential
privacy issues. So far, nobody seems worried about them.

Jean Hewlett
Regional Librarian
University of San Francisco