[Web4lib] video conferencing suggestions

Mary Beth Faccioli mbfaccioli at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 20 17:55:35 EDT 2009

I did a fairly extensive review of products for my organization within the past year.  We went with Adobe Connect and I'm very satisfied.  That said, every organization has different needs, and I think it's true that no system meets them all.

A couple things based on info already given. I believe every system will have echo if someone uses speakers instead of headsets, and its a best practice not to do that - I don't think this has much to do with the quality of the system.  Also, you will have bandwidth issues with video no matter what system you use - video takes bandwidth regardless.

I'm not sure about other systems on this feature, but Connect allows you to adjust bandwidth settings on the host and participant sides, which may be a feature for you to explore in various systems since you are looking to use video.

I think DimDim would be fine for your first need.  I would be hesitant for the second need.  One of the primary things I learned in the evaluation process (which I guess I already know from most areas of life) - you get what you pay for, and you can't really expect this freeware to work like something from, say, Adobe. (I know DimDim is open source but it doesn't have the community support that would make open source a reasonable option in this case).

On the sophistication factor I highly recommend Connect - the system of "pods" or little windows that you can drag into whatever position you want is really slick.  Plus you can get an education discount that's significant. And, you can use Presenter and Captivate content, use Flash applications, etc. - all very nice.

The "top three" systems are considered to be WebEx, GoToMeeting and Adobe Connect, for what that's worth.  Again looking at the sophistication need.

Good luck!

Mary Beth Faccioli, MLIS
Instructional Design & Technology Consultant
Colorado State Library