[Web4lib] video conferencing over the web

Ms Norma Jean Hewlett hewlett at usfca.edu
Wed Oct 14 23:13:49 EDT 2009

Pat Rapp wrote:
> Have you considered using Second Life rather than  > video
conferencing? No need for webcams; no
> streaming issues; and really no cost...

Hi John & Pat and all,
I was reading back through some old email tonight and found this
message. If this has already been discussed, please excuse my ramblings.

I run a community library on SecondLife, and I totally agree that it's a
wonderful platform for book discussions. It's very true that using SL
completely does away with the need for webcams and their associated
software. All that's needed is to set up a free SL account, create an
avatar, and download their free software.

A meeting held on SL has a strong sense of everybody being in the same
shared space and being a member of the same group. In contrast, I find
that standard video conferencing leaves me with a strong sense of
isolation, of being in one location and listening to somebody far away.

However, there are a few things to consider before deciding to us SL.
One is that people need to create and learn how to manipulate online
avatars. Some people take to this with joy, others find it artificial
and complicated.

Another potential problem, and perhaps the most serious, is that
successfully using SL requires a fast computer with an excellent video
card, along with a fast, reliable broadband connection to the Internet.
I suspect your 7mb ADSL is probably quite adequate to do this for one
computer, but I'm not sure about doing it for several simultaneously.
Many people's home computers won't handle SL, or will give only a
minimal and frustrating experience. Most of the library computers I'm
familiar with are similar.

It sounds like you are planning to have two separate groups meeting
simultaneously at the two libraries, with a videocam broadcasting each
one to the other. On SecondLife, each person in each group would need to
be on an individual computer in order for their avatar to participate
fully in the discussion. As I said before, that would require a very
well-equipped computer lab. I don't know what kind of equipment your
library and your partner library have, but the public libraries I know
in the USA don't have powerful enough computers or broad enough Internet
access to do it successfully.

SL lends itself very well to completely online discussions, with
everybody logging in from a separate location, usually their home. Here
again, each person would need their own free SL account,  appropriate
computer hardware and fast Internet access.

If you do decide to meet on SL, you are more than welcome to meet at my
library. Just have your avatar send an Instant Message to Riven Homewood
and we can arrange a schedule. I have a friend on SL who is a librarian
at an Irish university and in charge of their SL location, and I'd be
happy to put you in contact with her.

Jean Hewlett
Regional Librarian, University of San Francisco
aka Riven Homewood
Director Steelhead Public Library, SecondLife

This is a personal message and does not represent my employer. The
University of San Francisco has no official affiliation with the
Steelhead Public Library. Riven Homewood is my personal avatar and her
actions do not officially represent USF.