[Web4lib] web 2.0 havoc

Sharon Clapp SClapp at cslib.org
Wed Oct 14 13:42:22 EDT 2009

Perfect timing! I just yesterday found myself in the role of "denier of
network services" - which is about the last thing I want to be as a
Web2.0/Library2.0 enthusiast. But the deal was that the staff member who
just created a blog about a topic of interest to our website's audiences
was unaware that there was already a venue for this type of online
publishing (our news blog) & that I am also in the midst of designing
what I hope to be a rapid content development system for our web content
creators through Drupal. We'll migrate over our existing website and
ultimately our Wordpress-based blog to this system.

So I wrote a piece on my blog about information architecture,
user-centered design & understanding web presence as a system, rather
than as separate streams - website, blog, Faceobok, Twitter, etc. -
http://librarywebhead.blogspot.com/2009/10/your-web-presence-ecosystem.html

I don't know if it will help you, but you definitely want to get the
word out to all of your participants ahead of time so you don't have to
play the role of "denier of web services". Not a good position to be in.
You want to harness the enthusiasm and the content creation skills of
your colleagues as parts of a larger plan for your web presence. Good
luck!

Sharon Clapp
Web Resources Librarian
Connecticut State Library
860-424-3617
www.cslib.org

>>> christine kreger <christine_kreger at yahoo.com> 10/14/2009 11:24 AM

I think this is an excellent question, and idea to cover...not only for
staff who may be creating online presences out there, but also for
participating libraries who may not have thought about a social media
strategy or policies.

I could see including a brief section for Trainers on the benefits of a
coherent web presence, suggesting as you said that they talk to IT and
Communications departments...but maybe also linking to examples of
library social media policies.

There is an excellent article in School Library Journal that might be
good to link to.
http://www.schoollibraryjournal.com/article/CA6699104.html

Christine Kreger