[Web4lib] Metadata scheme for computer hardware

Andrew Cunningham andrewc at vicnet.net.au
Tue Oct 13 22:07:11 EDT 2009

I'm working on something similar, but focusing on OS configuration and
software, rather than hardware. It will be part of a possible national
audit of computers in public and state libraries, focusing on
multilingual support for community languages and collections.

Andrew

Walker Sampson wrote:

> Roy,
> You have a good point. I am interested in interoperability, but as you say
> there doesn't seem to be much out there. I imagine I will end up creating my
> own set (though CCO's framework has a few elements that apply) with a
> crosswalk to a sort of bare-bones OAI-PMH for federated searches.
>
> Thanks again,
> Walker
>
> On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Roy Tennant <tennantr at oclc.org> wrote:
>

>> Why would you want to find a metadata standard for this? Standards are good
>> for interoperability, but they are often inadequate for internal purposes.
>> Create something that works for you, and if a standard for this ever comes
>> along, you can parse your data into that should you wish to comply with it.
>> More likely, there will either not be a standard created for this or if
>> there is, you may be the one leading the effort. I make up my own XML all
>> the time, for my own nefarious purposes, and I have yet to regret it.
>> Roy
>>

>> On 10/13/09 10/13/09 € 10:21 AM, "Walker Sampson" <
>> walker.sampson at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Hello all,
>>> I'm wondering if any one on the list is aware of a metadata set designed
>>> for, or that would be appropriate for, a repository of computer hardware.
>>> I've taken a look at Dublin Core, MODS, METS, and while any of these
>>>
>> could
>>
>>> be used for software, I'm on a project that needs to track and preserve
>>> hardware too. This would include whole systems and individual components
>>> like boards, cards, peripherals, etc. I've searched a bit for a
>>> manufacturer's own internal metadata for their components, but haven't
>>>
>> found
>>
>>> that information anywhere. Even if such information were openly
>>>
>> available,
>>
>>> each manufacturer's set would likely be different.
>>>
>>> Has any one encountered this problem before, or know of any resources
>>>
>> that
>>
>>> could help?
>>>
>>> Thank you,
>>> Walker

Andrew Cunningham
Senior Manager, Research and Development
Vicnet
State Library of Victoria
328 Swanston Street
Melbourne VIC 3000