[Web4lib] Metadata scheme for computer hardware

Walker Sampson walker.sampson at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 20:43:16 EDT 2009

Roy,
You have a good point. I am interested in interoperability, but as you say
there doesn't seem to be much out there. I imagine I will end up creating my
own set (though CCO's framework has a few elements that apply) with a
crosswalk to a sort of bare-bones OAI-PMH for federated searches.

Thanks again,
Walker

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 1:03 PM, Roy Tennant <tennantr at oclc.org> wrote:

> Why would you want to find a metadata standard for this? Standards are good
> for interoperability, but they are often inadequate for internal purposes.
> Create something that works for you, and if a standard for this ever comes
> along, you can parse your data into that should you wish to comply with it.
> More likely, there will either not be a standard created for this or if
> there is, you may be the one leading the effort. I make up my own XML all
> the time, for my own nefarious purposes, and I have yet to regret it.
> Roy
>

> On 10/13/09 10/13/09 € 10:21 AM, "Walker Sampson" <
> walker.sampson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello all,
> > I'm wondering if any one on the list is aware of a metadata set designed
> > for, or that would be appropriate for, a repository of computer hardware.
> > I've taken a look at Dublin Core, MODS, METS, and while any of these
> could
> > be used for software, I'm on a project that needs to track and preserve
> > hardware too. This would include whole systems and individual components
> > like boards, cards, peripherals, etc. I've searched a bit for a
> > manufacturer's own internal metadata for their components, but haven't
> found
> > that information anywhere. Even if such information were openly
> available,
> > each manufacturer's set would likely be different.
> >
> > Has any one encountered this problem before, or know of any resources
> that
> > could help?
> >
> > Thank you,
> > Walker

Walker Sampson
MS in Information Studies, Expected 2010
School of Information, UT Austin
http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/~walker